1 lb pork ribs
1 yam - peeled, cut into cubes and fried
1 knob old ginger - sliced
3 cloves garlic - peeled and smashed
2 stalk green onion (white part only) - cut into 2 cm length
4 dried mushrooms - soaked, drained and quartered
1 tsp fermented black beans - washed with water and drained
1 tbsp soy sauce
dash of pepper
2 tbsp rock sugar
2 cups water
2 tbsp cooking oil
2 tbsp shaoxing wine
2 tbsp soy sauce
- Marinate pork ribs with 1 tbsp soy sauce and pepper for 15 minutes or more.
- Heat up oil in a pan and fry the pork ribs till they turned brown and fragrant. Dish out and set aside.
- With the remaining oil, fry the ginger slices, garlic, green onion and fermented black beans till fragrant.
- Add mushroom and fry for another 1 -2 minutes.
- Add rock sugar and water and fry till sugar has melted.
- Add pork ribs to the pan. Drizzle sauce and do a quick stir fry. Add water and braise for 45 minutes under medium low heat.
- Add yam and continue to braise for another 15 - 20 minutes or until yam is cooked to desired softness.
- Before serving, sprinkle some salt and pepper to taste.