Recipe adapted from here
halibut fish fillet (or any firm fleshed sea fish) about 6 ounces each
1 tsp turmeric powder
salt to taste
11/2 tbsp vegetable oil
3 medium cloves garlic - sliced fine
6 curry leaves
1 1/2 teaspoon red chilli powder - i used 1/2 teaspoon
1 tsp coriander powder
2 tsp cumin powder - i used 1 tsp
1 tsp toasted and ground fennel seeds - i omitted this
1 tbsp tamarind soaked in 1 1/2 cup water
2 tsp rice flour dissolved in 1/4 cup water
- In a bowl, toss fish with turmeric and salt. Meanwhile, heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat until shimmering. Add garlic and stir until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add curry leaves and stir until fragrant, about 30 seconds longer.
- Reduce heat to low. In quick succession, add red chilli powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, and fennel powder, and stir until fragrant, about 1 minute (take care not to burn the spices. Add a few teaspoons of water if you smell burning and stir it vigorously).
- Add the fish to the spiced oil mixture and stir gently to coat the fish with the oil. Let this infuse for about 10 seconds.
- Add the tamarind soaked water and gently stir the mixture to combine. Cover and bring to a boil. Once at a boil add the rice flour dissolved in water and stir. Allow to simmer uncovered for 1 minute then remove from heat.
- Serve hot with white rice.