1 lb pork belly - cut into bite-sized pieces
2 large sea cucumbers - pre-conditioned and cut into bite-sized pieces
1 small dried squid
3 slices of ginger
3 cloves garlic - lightly pounded with skin intact
1 tbsp minced onion
1 inch cinnamon stick
2 star anise
2 tbsp dark soy sauce
2 tbsp light soy sauce
4 tbsp rice wine
2 cups water2 stalks green onions
dash of sesame oil
salt to taste
1/2 tsp sugar
- Blanch the pork belly in boiling water for a few minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Heat up oil in a wok. Saute the onion, green onion, ginger and garlic until fragrant.
- Add in the pork belly. Add dark soy sauce, light soy sauce and rice wine and quickly stir fry for a while.
- Add water and bring to a boil. Add the star anise and dried squid. The water must be enough to cover the pork belly.
- Cover and simmer under low heat for 30 to 45 mins or until pork is almost tender. Add the sea cucumbers and continue to simmer for 10 mins or until all ingredients are cooked to desired tenderness.
- Check seasonings and add salt if needed. Thicken the sauce with some cornstarch solution and add a little sesame oil.
- In a pot of boiling water, add some salt, sugar and a little oil and blanch the broccoli for a few minutes. Arrange them on the outer layer of a round serving plate.
- Dish up the pork belly and sea cucumbers and place them in the centre of the plate.
- Serve warm.