2 lb pork rib
dash of freshly ground black pepper
sprinkle of sea salt
8 slices ginger
8 cloves garlic- sliced
2 tsp szechuan peppercorn
4- 5 star anise
2 tsp chilli flakes
2 stalks green onion - trimmed and sliced
5 tbsp soy sauce
5 tbsp shaoxing wine
2 - 4 tbsp rice vinegar
4 - 5 tbsp honey
chicken stock/water for braising
olive oil for frying
- Season pork ribs with salt and pepper.
- Heat up oil in pot. Sear pork ribs till browned on all sides.
- Add ginger, garlic, peppercorn, star anise, fennel seeds, chilli flakes and honey.
- Continue to cook for a few minutes until the honey begins to caramelize.
- Add the soy sauce, rice vinegar and shaoxing wine and bring to a boil, simmering for 1- 2 minutes.
- Taste and adjust seasonings accordingly. Add green onions and stock and bring to a boil.
- Preheat weber grill or oven to 180 degrees C or 360 degrees F.
- Transfer contents from the pot into a roasting pan.
- Place the pan in the preheated grill. Cover and cook for 1 hour or till meat is tender, turning the ribs halfway through the cooking time.
- Transfer contents in roasting pan back to the pot and continue to cook over stove top till sauce becomes thick and syrupy.
- Coat the ribs with the sauce to give it a good glaze Sprinkle some toasted sesame seeds if desired.
- Serve warm.