1 cornish hen
1/4 cup glutinous rice, rinsed and soaked in water for 2 hours
1 fresh ginseng root, washed
5 large dried jujube (red dates)
2 garlic cloves, lightly mashed
2 green onons, chopped
salt to taste
ground black pepper
- Strain the rice.
- Remove the giblets from the hen and rub them with salt all over to clean them nicely. Rinse under cold running water.
- Put the hen on the cutting board, pat dry, and remove any extra fat around the body cavities with kitchen scissors. Cut off the tips of wings if you want.
- Stuff the hen with rice, ginseng, jujube, and garlic cloves.
- Place the hens into a claypot. Add one pot of boiling water to cover the hen. Cover and cook over high heat for 4 hours.
- Remove from the heat and serve this nourishing dish with dipping sauce.
For the sesame dipping sauce:
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds
- a pinch of ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
For sweet sour soy dipping sauce:
- 3 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon honey (or sugar)
- 1/4 medium size onion, cut into chunks
- 1 Jalapeno (or red or green chili pepper), sliced