1 cornish chicken
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
Herbal Stock Ingredients
handful yuzhu - soak for 10 minutes and drain
handful cong cao hua - soak for 5 minutes and drain
1 large piece dang gui
10 red dates - pitted
2 tbsp goji (wolfberry)
dried scallops - previously soaked and drained
1 1/2 tbsp light soy sauce
1 tsp dark soy sauce
1 1/2 tbsp yellow wine
1 tsp sesame oil
1 small claypot (i am using it to replace the mouldable clay for wrapping chicken)
lotus leaves - use them to wrap the chicken will be more ideal.
- Clean chicken. Rub with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- In a pot, boil the herbal ingredients for 5 minutes. Add in seasonings and let the herbal stock cool to room temperature.
- Marinate the chicken with the herbal stock overnight in fridge, turning once for a more even marinade.
- Prepare dough. Add enough water to form a hard dough for wrapping the claypot.
- Place yuzhu in the claypot. Place chicken in claypot.
- Stuff the rest of the ingredients into the cavity of the chicken.
- Cover the claypot. Use the dough to seal the edges of the cover so that the heat will be fully trapped inside.
- Preheat oven to 380 degrees f. Place claypot in oven and bake for 1 hour.
- Remove claypot from oven and let it cool down slightly.
- Use a knife to break open the dough.
- Remove the cover and tuck into the moist tender chicken full of herbal aromatics.