recipe adapted from here
1 tbsp olive oil
1/2 sliced onion
1 cup chopped leeks (white parts only, from 2 leeks)
a little salt
1/2 head cauliflower, chopped
3 cups vegetable broth
handful of unsalted cashews or blanched silvered raw almonds, soaked
sea salt to taste
chopped parsley or chives for garnishing
- In a large saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat and sauté the garlic, leeks, and a little salt for about 3 minutes, until the vegetables are soft.
- Add the cauliflower and sauté for another minute.
- Add the vegetable broth, increase the heat to high, and bring just to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer for about 15 minutes, until the cauliflower is completely tender. Stir the mix periodically and mash the cauliflower with a wooden spoon.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and allow the soup to cool slightly; stir in the nuts.
- Pour the soup into your blender in batches and blast on high for 1 to 2 minutes, until smooth and creamy.
- Return the soup to the saucepan and warm it over low heat. Stir in salt to taste.
- To serve, ladle the soup into bowls and garnish with either chopped chives or gr