1 to 2 pcs tau kwa (firm beancurd) - cut into triangular pcs and cut a slit on cut side)
10 pcs square tau pok (fried beancurd puff) - cut a slit on one side
1 large bittergourd - ends removed, core and seeds removed and cut into thick slices)
1 large eggplant - ends removed and cut at an angle and make a slit in centre of each cut pc)
5 fresh green chillies - trim stalk, seeds removed and cut a slit in the middle
5 fresh red chillies - trim stalk, seeds removed and cut a slit in the middle
10 pcs of okra (lady's finger)
1 lb minced pork
1 lb mackerel fish paste
1 pc salted fish (about 4x4 cm)
2 tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp white pepper
2 tbsp corn starch
few tbsp water
3/4 cup soy beans - soaked for 2 hours or more, then drained
8 cups of water (estimated)
8 cups of chicken stock (estimated)
1 medium-sized pc of dried cuttlefish
Tau cheo and hot chilli sauce
- Add drained soybeans in a large pot filled with water and chicken stock.
- Bring to a boil and simmer over medium heat for 1 hour or more. Turn off heat.
- Mix all the ingredients in the meat stuffing and marinate for 1 hour or more.
- Using a butter knife, stuff the meat filling into the beancurd and vegetables.
- Prepare a pot of oil for deep frying.
- Fry all the ingredients and drained on paper towels to remove excess oil.
- Bring the pot of stock to boil. Add tau kwa, tau pok and bittergourd and simmer for 15 minutes under medium heat.
- Then add eggplant, okra and chillies and simmer for another 10 minutes or until the vegetables are just cooked.
- Ladle into a serving bowl, sprinkle a dash of pepper and garnish with coriander leaves.
- Serve warm with rice or noodles.