recipe adapted fm almostbourdain
1 whole duck (about 2 kg)
2 tsp five spice powder
1 tsp salt
4 cloves garlic
4 slices ginger
2 fresh red chillies
2 tbsp che hou sauce or sweet bean sauce
2 tsp sugar
1/4 cup coriander leaves, chopped
1 tbsp honey
1 tbsp vinegar
1 tbsp sugar
1 tsp sesame oil
1 tsp soy sauce
1 tsp shaoxing wine
1 tsp cornflour
- Boil a big pot of water, enough to submerge the whole duck.
- When the water is boiling, add vinegar and put in the duck and let it boil for 2 minutes. Make sure the whole duck is submerged in the water.
- Remove duck and drain. Discard the water.
- Mix salt and 5 spice powder. Rub them all over the cavity of the duck.
- Put garlic, ginger, chilli and bean paste in a blender and process to form a paste.
- Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a frying pan and stir fry until fragrant.
- Add 3 tbsp water, sugar and coriander leaves and continue to stir fry for 1 minute.
- Remove from heat. Let cool slightly and fill the cavity of the duck with the paste.
- Stitch up the cavity with kitchen twine or seal the opening with a wooden skewer.
- Melt honey with 6 tbsp of boiling water with seasonings (salt and pepper)
- Brush the honey mixture all over the duck. Repeat a few times to make sure every part of the skin is basted with the honey mixture.
- Hang the duck in a well aired/ventilated space for 3 hours or longer until the duck is completely dry.
- Preheat weber grill to 375 degree F. (190 degree C).
- Place a piece of aluminium foil inthe centre and put a trivet on top.
- Put the duck, breast side up, on the trivet and roast for 40 minutes to an hour or until the skin is nicely browned and meat is cooked. (internal temp of 165 degrees F)
- To make the sauce, drain all the sauce from the cavity to a saucepan. Add sugar, sesame oil, shaoxing wine, soy sauce and cornflour and cook until it is bubbling and thicken.
- Carve the duck and serve with the dipping sauce.