recipe adapted from 'what's cooking Thai' by Christine France
2 skinless boneless chicken thighs
50g cooked shelled shrimp
1 small egg - beaten
2 green onion - finely chopped
1 garlic clove - crushed
1 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
1 tsp thai fish sauce
1/4 tsp pepper
1/8 tsp salt
5 slices of white bread, crust removed
1/2 cup sesame seeds
oil for deep frying
- Place the chicken and shrimp in a food processor and process until finely chopped. Add the egg, shallots, garlic, cilantro, fish sauce, pepper and salt and pulse for a few seconds to mix well. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Spread the mixture evenly over the slices of bread, right to the edges. Sprinkle the sesame seeds over a plate and press the spread side of each slice of bread into them to coat evenly.
- Using a sharp knife, cut the bread into squares, making 4 toast per slice.
- Heat up enough oil in a pan until hot. Pan fry the bread for 2-3 mins under medium heat on each side, or until golden brown, turning them over once.
- Drain the toasts well on paper towels, transfer to a serving plate and serve immediately.
Place the bread overnight in a fridge, it will make it easier to spread the mixture onto it. If making for a big party, these toasts can be made in advance. Cover and let chill in refrigerator for up to 3 days or place them in a sealed container in a plastic bag and freeze for up to 1 month. Thaw overnight in the referigerator and then pop into a hot oven for 5 mins to reheat thoroughly.