adapted fm cookbook 'Food of the World'
makes about 20 - 25 bundles
80g raw prawns - peeled, deveined and roughly chopped
80g skinless chicken meat - cut into small pcs
100g water chestnuts - drained and roughly chopped
2 garlic cloves - finely chopped
2 green onions - finely sliced
1 tsp oyster sauce
1 tbsp soy sauce
salt and pepper to taste
20-30 wonton wrappers
cornstarch paste - for brushing and sealing
cooking oil for deep frying
chili sauce to serve
- Using a food processor or blender, blend the prawns and chicken meat to a fine paste. In a bowl, combine the minced meat, water chestunuts, garlic, green onions, oyster sauce, soy sauce, pepper and salt.
- To make green onion ties, cut each into 4-6 strips,using only the longest green parts, then soak them in boiling water for 5 mins or until soft. Drain, then dry on paper towels.
- Spoon 2 tsp of filling into the middle of each wrapper. Brush around the filling with cornstarch paste, then pull up into a bag and pinch together to enclose the filling. Place on a tray that is lightly dusted with plain flour. Repeat until you have used all the filling.
- Tie a piece of green onion twice around each bag and tie in a knot.
- Heat oil in a wok over a medium heat. When the oil seems hot, drop a small piece of wonton wrapper into it. If it sizzzles immediately, the oil is ready. Deep fry the wonton for 2-3 mins or until they turn golden brown. Drain on paper towels.
- Serve hot with a chilli sauce dip.