Hubby's first attempt at cooking mutton curry....yummy!
1 lb mutton meat (blanched with few slices ginger and 1 stalk green onion)
2 medium size potato - cut into bite-sized cubes (potato to meat 1/2 to 1 ratio qty)
2 medium size onion - chopped
1 medium tomato - chopped
1 inch ginger - mashed
3 clove garlic - mashed
2 green chilli - deseeded and cut lengthwise
3 curry leaves (i use bay leaves for substitute)
2 inch cinnamon stick
1 can coconut milk
2 tbsp lime juice
salt to taste
2 tbsp coriander powder
1 tsp turmeric powder
1 tbsp chilli powder
2 tsp garam masala
1 tsp cumin powder
2 tsp curry powder
1/2 tsp fennel seed powder
1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1/2 tsp salt
- Bring a pot of water to boil and blanch mutton in the boiling water for a few minutes. Drain and pat dry. Marinate with the spices for 1 hour or more. Set aside.
- In a pan, heat oil on medium heat. Add onion and saute till slightly translucent. Add mashed ginger, garlic and green chilli and saute for a while more. Add mutton and saute for 1 min.
- Add bay leaves, cinnamon stick, cloves and saute for 2-3 mins. Add chopped tomato and saute for 2-3 minutes until soft.
- Add coconut milk to the mixture and bring to boil. Cover and simmer under medium low heat for 1 hour. Add potato and continue to simmer for another half hour or until potato is cooked. Add salt to taste. Drizzle some lime juice and mix well.
- Serve hot with french loaf or rice.