recipe adapted from what's cooking Thai by Christine France
10 large prawns
20 wonton wrappers
1 tbsp fresh cilantro leaves - chopped
1 garlic clove - chopped
1 tsp thai red curry paste
1 egg white, lightly beaten
cooking oil for deep frying
- Mix the cilantro leaves, garlic and curry paste in a bowl.
- Brush each wonton wrapper with egg white and place a small dab of the mixture in the centre. Place a prawn on top.
- Fold one wonton wrapper over, enclosing half of the prawn. Use another wrapper to enclose near the tail end of it, leaving the tail exposed. Repeat with the rest of the prawns.
- Heat oil for deep frying to 350 to 375F or 180 to 190c, or until a cube of bread browns in 30 seconds.
- Deep fry the prawns in small batches for 1-2 mins each or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels and serve with chilli sauce.
1 small red thai chili, seeded
1 tsp honey
3 tbsp sweet soy sauce
Note: Use one wonton wrapper to wrap a prawn if it is big enough to enclose it.