1 medium-sized yam (peeled and sliced)
4-6 tbsp sugar (adjust accordingly to preference)
pinch of salt
2 shallots - sliced
4 tbsp oil
1/2 cup water (adjust accordingly)
1 - 2 cups coconut milk
handful of toasted shredded coconut
- Steam yam slices until tender. Use a masher to mash the yam as much as possible.
- Heat up oil in a medium-sized pot. Fry the shallots under low heat until brown and aromatic. Turn off heat. Remove shallots and reserve the oil.
- Reheat the pot of oil under low heat. Add the mashed yam into the pot. Stir continuously until the yam and oil are well-combined.
- Add water and continue to stir until well combined. Pour mixture into a blender. Add coconut milk and blend. If it is too dry, add more coconut milk gradually until a smooth mixture is formed.
- Pour blended mixture back into the pot. Gradually add in salt and sugar and continue to stir. Adjust sweetness to own taste.
- Ladle into small serving bowls and serve warm with toasted coconut toppings.