1 lb pork belly - cut into pieces
1 medium-sized yam - peeled and cut into pcs
2 shallots - sliced
3 cloves garlic- chopped
2 pcs fermented red beancurd - mashed
2 tbsp oyster sauce
1 tsp 5-spice powder
1 tsp sugar
2 tbsp rice wine
dash of white pepper
- Mix all ingredients in the marinade. Set aside.
- Use one tbsp of the marinade to season the pork belly for 15 minutes or more.
- Heat up oil in pot, fry yam pieces till browned. Remove from pot.
- Fry shallot till lightly brown. Remove from pot. Then fry garlic till lightly browned. Remove from pot.
- Add pork belly and fry till browned. Remove from pot and place the fried pork in a steaming bowl.
- Add half of the marinade, half of fried shallot and garlic, then add the yam. Pour remaining marinade, shallot and garlic into the bowl.
- Cover the bowl with a plate and steam over medium low heat for 1 1/2 to 2 hours till pork is tender.
- Remove the plate and Invert the bowl into a serving plate and serve.