recipe adapted from here
Ingredients1 free range chicken - use half of it
salt to taste
Assorted Herbs in approximate weight:
- 12g Huai Shan 淮山 (Radix Dioscoreae Oppositae)
- 9g Dang Shen 党参 (Codonopsis Pilosulae)
- 8g Yu Zhu 玉竹 (Solomon's Seal Rhizome)
- 11g Long Yan Gan 龙眼干 (Dried Longan)
- 5g Gou Qi Zi 枸杞子 (Wolfberries)
- 6 Hong Zao 红枣 (Red Dates)
- 2g Chuan Gong 川芎 (Szechwan Lovage Rhizome)
- 2g Dang Gui 当归 (Angelica Sinensis)
- 7g Bei Qi 北芪 (Astragalus Membranaceus)
- Bring a small pot of water to a boil. Add in all the herbal ingredients and bring to a boil again. Switch off heat and let soaked for 20 minutes or more for the flavours to imbibe.
- Cut huai shan, dang shen, yu zhu, dang gui and beiqi into smaller pieces for better absorption of flavours when steaming.
- Cut out a big piece of aluminium foil and make into a rectangular packet with a open side. Place the chicken and ingredients into the packet. Pour in the water used to cook the herbs as well. Add some salt and seal the packet.
- Place the aluminium packet into a deep dish. Steam for 1 hour and 15 mins under low heat or until chicken is cooked and meat is tender.
- Remove the aluminium packet from the dish and serve warm.
- Remember to keep checking the water level if you are using the steaming method.
- Keep a kettle of hot water ready; to add in if the water level is low.
- DO NOT add cold water.