2 lb pork shoulder
6 satay sticks - soaked in water for 20 mins
2 tbsp honey, mix with 1 tbsp water
4 tbsp oyster sauce
5 tbsp ketchup
3 tbsp soy sauce
3 tbs dark soy sauce
5 tbsp sugar
3/4 tsp salt
3/4 tsp five-spice powder
1 tbsp cooking wine
5 cloves of garlic - smashed lightly and peeled
- Cut the pork into strips about 3cm thickness. Put pork strips into a big bowl and add in all the seasonings. Use a fork to poke through the meat to allow seasonings to marinate the inner side as well. Marinate at least 2 hours or preferably overnight.
- Braise the pork strips in a pan together with the marinade under low heat for 5 mins.
- Preheat oven to 450F. Use a stick to poke through every individual strip so that it will not shrink too much while baking. Place pork strips on a baking tray lined with aluminium foil and bake for 25 mins. Remove from oven. Rotate and brush marinade on the pork strips.
- Reduce heat to 350F and roast for 15-20 mins or until the surface is slightly crispy.
- Remove the baked char siew from the oven. Cut into slices and drizzle marinade over them.
- Serve with sliced cucumber and chilli sauce.