750g taro - peeled and sliced thinly
120g wheat starch
1/2 +1/3 cup boiling water
1 tsp salt
2 tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp 5-spice powder
200g ground pork
2 shitake mushrooms - diced
handful frozen mixed peas
3 shallot - peeled and chopped
2 cloves garlic - peeled and chopped
1 tbsp soy sauce
2 tsp dark soy sauce
1 tbsp oyster sauce
1 tsp sugar
salt to taste
dash of pepper
2 tbsp toasted peanuts
few tbsp of water
- Put sliced yam into a large plate and steamed until soft. Mash yam using a potato masher and
- add salt, sugar and 5-spice powder into the mashed yam and mix well.
- In a large bowl, add boiling water to the wheat starch. Use a pair of chopsticks to stir until mixed. Add yam and shortening and mix well.
- Knead into a dough and keep refrigerated for 1 hour or more.
- Heat up oil in pan. Fry shallot and garlic till fragrant. Add mushrooms and fry for a minute. Add pork and fry for a while more.
- Drizzle saoy sauce, dark soy sauce and osyter sauce and do a quick stir fry to mix well. Add mixed peas, water, sugar, salt and a dash of pepper. Stir in some cornstarch solution to slightly thicken the sauce. Add toasted peanuts and toss to mix well.
- Divide dough into 22 balls. Flatten each dough into a circle. Place 1 tbsp of fillings onto the center of the dough and wrap it up into an oval shape. Repeat for the rest of the dough balls.
- Keep refrigerated for another 30 minutes before frying.
- Heat up oil till hot. Switch to medium heat and fry yam puff till golden brown and crispy.
- Drain and place on paper towels to drain off excess oil. Serve immediately with some chilli dipping sauce.