6 chicken wings - separate drummettes and wings
3 slices ginger
2 shallots - peeled and sliced
2 cloves garlic - peeled and chopped
3 dried chillies
2 stalks celery - sliced
12 baby carrots
handful of whole white peppercorns - lightly pounded
1 star anise
1/2 to 3/4 cup water
2 tbsp soy sauce
3/4 tbsp dark soy sauce
1 tbsp shaoxing wine
- Add a little oil to a pan. Fry chicken wings over medium low heat to brown them.
- Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add a little more oil to fry the ginger, shallots, garlic and dried chillies till aromatic.
- Return chicken wings to the pan. Drizzle sauce and do a quick stir-fry.
- Add water, celery, carrots, peppercorns, star anise and cloves and bring to a boil.
- Simmer over medium low heat for about 20 minutes.
- Stir in some cornstarch solution to slightly thicken the gravy.
- Ladle into a serving bowl and serve warm with rice.