2 duck drumsticks
1 packet of frozen fresh sea cucumbers
10 fresh chestnuts - peeled
3 slices of ginger
2 slices of galangal
2 cloves garlic - lightly smashed
2 shallots - peeled and cut into halves
1 piece 2-inch cinnamon stick
1 star anise
1 tsp cubed rock sugar
1/2 to 1 cup water
4 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp dark soy sauce
1 tbsp sweet thick soy sauce
1 tbsp shaoxing wine
- Fry the drumsticks in a pan till golden brown on both sides on medium low heat. Remove from pan.and set aside.
- Remove some of the duck oil, leaving 1 tbsp oil in the pan.
- Fry the ginger, galangal, garlic and shallots till fragrant.
- Transfer mixture to a stew pot. Switch to high heat and pllace the drumsticks and chestnuts in the pot.
- Drizzle sauce over the drumsticks and fry to mix well.
- Add enough water, cloves, cinnamon and star anise and bring to a boil.
- Simmer for 30 minutes. Add rock sugar and sea cucumber to the pot and continue to simmer for another 15 minutes. Stir in some cornstarch to thicken the sauce.
- Ladle into serving bowl and serve warm with a chilli dipping sauce.