recipe adapted from here
8 medium raw shrimp - shelled, washed and deveined
1 teaspoon nam pla (fish sauce)
1 pound fresh lump crab meat, picked over for cartilage
1/4 cup chopped scallion
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
1 fresh chili, preferably Thai, minced
1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 tbsp mayonnaise
2 to 3 tablespoons bread crumbs or more, preferably fresh
About 1/2 cup all-purpose flour for dredging
Peanut or vegetable oil as needed
Lime wedges for serving
- Purée shrimp in a food processor (smaller is better) until you have a smooth paste, or chop and mash by hand. Add fish sauce.
- In a bowl, mix the shrimp purée, crab meat, egg, scallion, cilantro, chili, ginger, salt, pepper and mayonnaise.
- Add just enough bread crumbs to stiffen mixture a bit. Refrigerate mixture until you are ready to cook; it will be easier to shape into cakes if you refrigerate it for 30 minutes or more.
- Season flour with salt and pepper. Film bottom of a large skillet with oil and place over medium-high heat. Shape crab meat mixture into cakes 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick and as wide as you want.
- Dredge each in flour, and cook, adjusting heat as necessary and turning once (very gently), until golden brown on both sides, about 5 minutes a side.
- Serve with lime wedges and a thai sweet chilli dipping sauce