The yam ring is one of my favourite dishes to order at zhi-char stalls or restaurants. So far I have loved to eat any kind of food that has taro/yam in it. I am pretty surprised that I would one day be able to cook this dish in my kitchen. But here it is.....presenting my yummy ring!
For Yam Ring
350g yam - steamed and mashed
7 tbsp wheat starch
3/4 to 1 cup boiling water
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp 5-spice powder
8 prawns - peeled and de-veined, leave tail intact
1 medium-sized piece chicken fillet - cut into bite-sized pieces
3 red sweet bell peppers - cut into bite-sized pieces
3 orange sweet bell peppers - cut into bite-szed pieces
10 sugar snap peas - removed tail
1/2 stalk celery - sliced
handful of toasted cashew nuts
1/2 onion - peeled and cut
2 cloves garlic - chopped
3 slices ginger
1 tbsp shaoxing wine
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp oyster sauce
salt and sugar to taste
dash of pepper
dash of sesame oil
one small bunch of vermicelli
- Cut yam into thin slices and steam them for 15 to 20 minutes till soft. Mash the yam using a potato masher.
- Add about 1 cup boiling water to the wheat starch in another bowl. Mix to become a dough.
- Add the wheat starch dough to yam. Add shortening, salt , sugar and 5-spice powder.
- Mix all the ingredients well and knead to form a dough.
- Rest the dough covered in the refrigerator for 1 hour or more.
- Remove dough from fridge. Use your hand to roll the dough to form an elongated shape with a height of about 4 to 5 cm.
- Join the two ends of the dough to form a ring. Lightly adjust the shape to even out the shape of the yam ring.
- Prepare a pot of oil and heat it up to high.
- Place the yam ring onto a sieve and carefully lowered it down to the bottom of the pot.
Fry the yam ring till the crust becomes golden brown.
- Drain the yam ring on paper towels and place it on a serving plate.
- Fry the vermicelli in the oil and immediately remove it when it puffs up.
- Drain the vermicelli and arrange them around the yam ring.
- Blanch the bell peppers and sugar snap peas in the hot oil for a while. Set aside.
- Blanch the prawns and chicken in the hot oil till just cooked. Set aside.
- Heat up 1 to 2 tbsp oil in a large pan. Fry the onions, garlic and ginger till fragrant.
- Add the celery and fry for a while. Add prawns, chicken, bell peppers, sugar snap peas and fry on high heat.
- Drizzle sauce and fry to mix well. Add toasted cashew nuts and toss to mix well.
- Pour cooked ingredients into the centre of the yam ring.
- Immediately enjoy the fruits of your labour.