fall off the bone five-spiced rib
Spices and Seasonings
1 tbsp five-spice powder
1 tbsp soy sauce
3 cloves chopped garlic
1 tsp garlic salt
1 tsp pepper
1 tsp onion powder
1 can of coke
BBQ Sauce Mix for basting
3 tbsp honey
3 tbsp ketchup
3 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp rice wine
- Wash pork and place in a large bowl. Pour 1 can of coke into the bowl or enough to cover it. Leave in fridge overnight.
- Pour away the coke the next day and marinate pork ribs with spices and seasonings for an hour.
- Wrap the marinated ribs, bone side down, with aluminum foil and poke several holes on top. Place a layer of aluminium foil in the centre of the grill. (Hubby did this because he was using a single burner portable grill.) Place trivet on top of the foil and put the wrapped pork ribs on the trivet.
- Place a metal bowl filled with some water inside the grill.
- Cover and grill for 2 1/2 hours between 250 to 275 degrees F (low heat). Check to make sure that the water in the metal bowl does not run dry and add as necessary..
- Open grill cover and unwrapped foil. Switch to high heat.
- Place pork ribs, meat side down, directly on the grate and sear for a few minutes.
- At the same time, heat up the sauce for needed for basting. (optional)
- Baste ribs with barbecue sauce mix and cook for another 10 to 15 minutes. Remove from grill and transfer to a plate.
- Drizzle basting sauce over grilled pork ribs and serve warm.