2 lb pork shoulder6 wooden skewers - soaked in water for 20 mins
2 tbsp honey, mix with 1 tbsp water
4 tbsp oyster sauce
5 tbsp ketchup
3 tbsp soy sauce
3 tbs dark soy sauce
5 tbsp sugar
3/4 tsp salt
3/4 tsp five-spice powder
1 tbsp cooking wine
5 cloves of garlic - smashed lightly and peeled
Honey Marinade for brushing
Add 1 tsp honey to above marinade.
- Cut the pork into strips about 3cm thickness. Put pork strips into a big bowl and add in all the seasonings. Use a fork to poke through the meat to allow seasonings to marinate the inner side as well. Marinate at least 2 hours or preferably overnight.
- Braise the pork strips in a pan together with the marinade under low heat for 5 mins. Reserve the marinade for brushing later.
- When it has cooled down, use 2 wooden skewers to poke through every individual strip so that it will not shrink too much while grilling.
- Set up charcoal barbecue and when it is ready, place skewed pork strips on the grill and baste with the sauce occasionally. Rotate and do the same for the other side as well until it is almost done which will take about 30 minutes to 1 hour, depending on the heat in the charcoal grill.
- Brush honey marinade on the barbecued pork on both sides and continue to grill for another few minutes on each side.
- Remove char siew from grill and when it has cooled down slightly, cut into slices and drizzle marinade over them.
- Serve with some greens and sliced cucumber.