half chicken (free range) - washed and cleaned
4 eggs - boiled and peeled
1 block of fresh tofu - cut into large cubes
5 tbsp of rock sugar
2 star anise
1 stick cinnamon - about 4 cm
1 inch bulb old ginger - smashed
4 cloves garlic - unpeeled and smashed
2 stalks green onion - cut into 3 parts
1/2 tsp salt
11/2 cup water
2 tbsp cooking oil
1 cup soy sauce (marinate chicken)
2 tbsp dark soy sauce
1/2 cup rice wine
- Marinate the chicken in 1 cup of soy sauce overnight in the fridge. Remove chicken from sauce and set aside, reserving the sauce for braising.
- Heat up oil in a wok over medium heat. Saute the ginger, garlic and green onions for 1-2 minutes.
- Add rock sugar to the wok, stirring it and letting it heat until the sugar has melted and caramelized but not burnt.
- Add sauce, water, star anise, cinnamon and chicken and bring to a boil. When boiling, reduce the heat to low and let it simmer for 15 minutes, turning the chicken once to coat it evenly with the sauce.
- Turn off heat and let it steep for another 10 minutes. The chicken should be cooked but tender.
- Remove chicken from wok and let it cool slightly before chopping into pieces.
- In the meantime, add the tofu and eggs into the sauce, braising it under medium heat for 15- 20 minutes.
- Arrange chicken pieces, tofu and eggs on a serving plate and drizzle some sauce over it.
- Serve with rice or noodles, with some chilli sauce and sliced cucumbers if desired.