i packet Shan Malay Chicken Biryani Mix (i used 1/2 packet for 3 servings)
1 lb bone-in chicken meat - chopped into pieces
1 1/2 cups basmati rice
1/2 cup tamarind water - 1 tbsp tamarind paste
3 shallots - peeled and sliced
1 tbsp garlic paste
1 tbsp ginger paste
1 to 2 green chillies
15 curry leaves
3 tbsp cooking oil
- Marinate chicken pieces with 2 tbsp of chicken biryani mix for 30 minutes.
- Soak basmati rice for 30 minutes, then drained.
- Fry shallots in hot oil until light golden. Add ginger garlic paste and curry leaves. Fry until aromatic.
- Add chicken pieces, green chilies and the rest of the biryani mix. Fry to mix well.
- Add tamarind water and 1 cup water. Bring to a boil.
- Cover and cook on low heat for 10 minutes.
- In another pot, boil 6 cups of water.
- When water comes to a boil, add soaked rice and stir in 1 tsp of salt.
- Continue to boil rice until 3/4 cooked, about 5 to 8 minutes.
- Remove and drain thoroughly.
- Spread some curry gravy on a baking tray. Add a layer of rice. Top with a layer of chicken curry.
- Add a layer of rice again and finally place the rest of the chicken curry on top.
- Bake in a preheated oven of 300 degree F.
- Bake for 40 minutes.
- Give the biryani rice a few tosses.
- Throw in some thinly sliced red onion and continue to bake for another 15 minutes.
- Top with roasted cashew nuts and serve warm.