1 1/2 lb pork belly - cut into pieces
4 hard boiled eggs
3 cloves garlic - peeled and sliced
3 shallots - peeled and sliced
some green peppercorns - light crushed
1 tbsp grated palm sugar
11/2 tbsp fish sauce
1 tbsp dark soy sauce
pinch of 5-spice powder
salt to taste
1 cup fresh coconut juice
1 cup water (approx)
- Fry the garlic and garlic in a small pan till aromatic. Set aside.
- In another pan, heat cooking oil in a pot over medium low heat, add the palm sugar and cook until it turns brown and is caramelized.
- Add in the pork and fry for a few minutes on medium-high heat until the meat is coated with the sugar.
- Add in fried garlic, shallot, peppercorn and stir to mix well.
- Drizzle fish sauce and dark soy sauce and fry for a while.
- Pour coconut juice into the pot. Add in the eggs. Top up with water to cover both the pork belly and eggs.
- Cover and cook for 45 minutes over medium low heat till pork is tender.
- Check seasonings and add salt to taste.
- Serve warm with rice.