1.5-2 foot section of Organic gobo (burdock root) or several pieces to match equivalent length, cut into matchsticks/julienned
1 medium carrot, cut into matchsticks/julienned
1 fresh red chili - sliced thinly
1/4 of one lotus root - peeled and sliced and soaked in water
1-2 tbsp toasted black sesame seeds
1.5 tbsp sesame oil
1 tbsp coconut syrup/sugar or equivalent sweetener
2 tbsp mirin
1-2 tbsp tamari or shoyu soy sauce
2 tbsp dashi
- Wash and peel burdock and carrot.
- Fill a bowl with cool water in which to place cut burdock and carrot to soak.
- Cut burdock and carrot into matchstick sized pieces, julienne and place into cold water. Allow to soak for a few minutes in several changes of water.
- Place 1 T sesame oil in frying pan over medium heat and add carrot, gobo (burdock) and lotus root. Sauté for about 5 minutes or until the vegetables start to become slightly cooked.
- Add mirin, sweetener, soy sauce and dashi. Sauté while stirring until most of the liquid had reduced. Turn down to low heat.
- Add remaining sesame oil and chilies. Sauté about one minute more. Remove from heat.
- Sprinkle toasted sesame seeds. This dish is delicious served warm or cold, with maki rolls, rice dishes or even a fresh salad!