Making the pastry crust
2 cups Bob Mills pastry flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 stick unsalted butter
10 tbsp cold water
4 medium sized potato - peeled and cut into small cubes
2 tbsp curry powder
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp masala powder
1 tsp chili powder
1 medium sized onion - peeled and diced
1 shallot - peeled and sliced
3 cloves garlic - peeled and chopped
1/2 tsp sugar
salt and pepper to taste
1 tbsp coconut oil
- Make the filling first. Heat oil and fry onion and shallot until slightly brown. Add chopped garlic and fry for another minute.
- Add the curry powder, turmeric powder, masala powder and chili powder and fry gently to mix well.
- Add the potatoes, sugar, pepper, salt and stir to combine well. Continue to cook till potatoes are tender. Mix well and leave aside to cool.
- To make pastry, mix flour with butter, water, salt, and knead well. Let it rest for one hour.
- Divide into parts and cut the dough into circles (about 3 inches) in diameter.
- Put about two tbsps fillings in the centre of the pastry. Fold pastry over to make a half circle and crimp at edges.
- Deep fry in hot oil until golden brown.