1.5 lb pork belly
4 stalks green onion
5 slices ginger
3/4 cup rock sugar
3/4 cup soy sauce
1 tsp dark soy sauce
1 1/2 cup rice wine
water to cover pork belly
2 pc star anise
1 pc cinnamon stick
3 tbsp vegetable oil
- Blanch the pork belly in boiling water for a few minutes. Remove and drain of excess water.
- Cut the pork belly into pieces of 4 x 4 cm cubes. Use a string to tie each individual piece into a parcel like package.
- Melt sugar in oil on low heat in a saucepan. Coat pork with melted sugar.
- Place green onion and ginger in a pot. Add pork belly in and heat up the pot.
- Drizzle soy sauce and dark soy sauce. Add rice wine and water, making sure to cover the pork belly.
- Bring to a boil and simmer on low heat for 2 hours, keeping watch to avoid the meat getting burnt. Add more water if necessary and cook till meat is tender.
- Remove pork belly parcels from pot and place them in a steaming dish.
- Steam for 30 minutes on medium high heat.
- Remove string and drizzle gravy over steamed pork belly and serve warm.