recipe adapted from sunset magazine
1 chicken (4-1/2 lb) - lumps of fat and tail removed, rinsed and patted very dry
1-1/2 to 2 tbsp fine sea salt
1-1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
2 tbsp coarsely ground mediterranean coriander seeds
zest of 1 lemon
3 tbsp olive oil
- Slide 2 fingers between breast skin and meat on chicken to make pockets. Turn chicken over and loosen thigh skin the same way.
- Mix salt and pepper and evenly rub over meat in each pocket and the rest over outside of bird.
- Put chicken on a rack in a rimmed pan and chill 2 days.
- Pat chicken dry inside and out.
- Combine seasoning and smear some mixture in pockets and the rest all over outside of chicken.
- Preheat weber grill on high.
- Place a large trivet on the grille. Place the chicken, breast side up, on the trivet.
- Cover and bake for 40 minutes or when a thermometer is horizontally inserted into the thickest part (chicken breast) reads 160 degrees F.
- Transfer chicken to a large aluminium foil container and let stand in a warm place for about 10 minutes.
- Cut up chicken and place on a serving plate. Serve warm.