(for 2 servings)
1 pkt fresh rice noodles (use 1/3 of it) - cut into thick strips and separate them
6 fish balls
1 medium size pc fish cake - sliced
1 medium size lean meat
2 tbsp of minced pork - marinate with 1 tsp soy sauce, 1 tsp sesame oil, salt and pepper.
1 stalk chinese celery - washed and cut into pieces
some fresh lettuce
2 slices of ginger
1 tsp preserved chopped radish - dong cai
fried shallot oil
fried pork lard - if available
cut red chilli in soy sauce
- Bring a pot of water to boil, blanch the fresh kuay teow. Drain and set aside in two serving bowls. Drizzle a little shallot oil and toss lightly. Arrange lettuce on the side of the bowls.
- Discard the water. Pour chicken stock into the pot and bring to a boil.
- Add ginger slices, fish balls, lean meat, minced pork and fish cake and cook for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Turn off heat and remove the piece of lean meat. Slice the meat thinly.
- Add chopped chinese celery. Cover for 1 minute.
- Divide the ingredients equally into the 2 bowls. Place the sliced meat in as well.
- Pour the stock into the bowls and sprinkle some pepper.
- Top with fried shallot and shallot oil and serve with chilli soy sauce dip.