1 large cucumber
3/4 cup Japanese rice vinegar
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp salt
toasted white sesame seeds
- Trim the ends off the cucumber. Use the cut stalk end to rub against both cut sides. Wash lightly.
- Cut the cucumber lengthwise into 2 halves and scoop out the seeds.
- Use a sharp knife to slice the cucumber thinly and place in a colander. Lightly toss with the salt and leave for 30 minutes.
Pour the vinegar and sugar into a bowl and stir well to dissolve.
- Gently squeeze out the water from the salted cucumber and place into the bowl. Use a pair of chopsticks to coat the cucumber slices evenly.
- Sprinkle some toasted sesame seeds before serving.
- Place in a serving bowl, and garnish with black sesame seeds.