a basket full of beautiful organic plums
these plums are super sweet and juicy
8 cups of chopped plums can be cooked at one time in my pot
the jam turning into a beautiful magenta colour
cooked jam ready to be ladled into jars
enjoying the luscious spread on my bagel
our supply for the next half year :)
Thanks to our neighours, Jonathan, Deborah and Leo who generously gave us their wonderful crop of sweet juicy plums. It was quite a bit of work making these home-made jam, but definitely very satisfying and rewarding and we look forward to enjoying our jam every morning.
8 cups italian plums, washed and pitted
4 cups sugar
juice of 1 lemon
rind of 1 lemon
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- Chop the plums into small pieces. Place them in a large pot and mash the plums as much as you can. Add all other ingredients except brandy in the pot and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium low and continue stirring to prevent it from burning and remove any foam during the stirring.
- Let it simmer for about 45 mininutes to an hour or until the mixture is slightly thick. I like the consistency of my jam to the thickness of it dropping by heaps within seconds when dropped from a ladle. Turn off heat and add brandy to the cooked jam and mix well.
- Boil the jars and lids in a pot of boiling water for 5 mins. Remove the sterilized jars from the pot using a tong.
- Ladle the jam into the jars leaving about 1 cm space on top. Cover with lid and let it cool.
- When cooled, store them in the refrigerator and enjoy the luscious and super delicious plum jam within 6 months.