Hubby and I have always wanted to try out this popular hawker delight. He got the chance finally and made two versions, the white version and the black version. I followed the Rasa Malaysia method of steaming the radish first before frying and adapted its recipe to my own taste. The following ingredients are good for 4 servings. Here is the black version.
Ingredients for steaming
for 4 servings
1 medium-sized radish/daikon (about 550g grated) + 50ml water
220g rice flour
280g ml water
pinch of salt
- Add 50ml water to the grated daikon and steam for 20 - 30 minutes over low heat or until they turn slightly translucent.
- Combine rice flour, water and salt in a large bowl and stir to mix well.
- Add steamed radish to the flour mixture and mix well.
- Pour radish mixture in a large pan and steam for about 30 - 40 minutes over high heat. Let cool and store in the refrigerator for frying the next day.
for 2 servings
2 tbsp oil
2 tbsp preserved radish (chai por)
2 small eggs - lightly beaten
3 cloves garlic - minced
1 tsp fish sauce
2 tbsp thick sweet soy sauce
dash of white pepper
1 tsp sambal belachan
1 stalk green onion - cut into small pieces for garnishing
- Steep the preserved radish in a small bowl for 5 - 10 minutes. Rinse a couple of times and chopped into small pieces. Set aside.
- Divide the steamed carrot cake into halves and cut this half into small pieces.
- Add 1 tsp oil in a non-stick pan and fry the chopped preserved radish until aromatic. Add minced garlic and fry till garlic turns light brown and aromatic. Set aside.
- Add 1 1/2 tbsp oil to the pan and fry the diced carrot cake over medium heat for about 5 - 10 minutes or until it turns lightly browned.
- Add the fried garlic mixture to the pan and fry to combine well.
- Drizzle fish sauce and thick soy sauce and do a quick stir fry. Add a dash of pepper. Add chilli sauce and mix well. Add a bit of water if mixture appears too dry.
- Pour the beaten eggs over the radish cake and let the eggs set a bit before flipping over.
- Carrot cake is ready when you can smell its aroma. Transfer to a serving plate and sprinkle some chopped green onion. Serve hot.