8 cups figs - washed and stems trimmed
4 cups sugar
juice of 1 lemon - optional
rind of 1 lemon - optional
- Cut the figs into small pieces. Place them in a large pot and mash the figs as much as you can. Add all other ingredients except brandy in the pot and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium low and continue stirring to prevent it from burning and remove any foam during the stirring.
- Let it simmer for about 45 mininutes to an hour or until the mixture is slightly thick. I like the consistency of my jam to the thickness of it dropping by heaps within seconds when dropped from a ladle. Turn off heat and add brandy to the cooked jam and mix well.
- Place the jars and lids in a pot of boiling water for 5 mins. Remove the sterilized jars from the pot using a tong.
- Ladle the jam into the jars leaving about 1 cm space on top. Wipe jar rims with a paper towel. Cover with lid and let it cool.
- When cooled, store them in the refrigerator and enjoy the aromatic and delicious plum jam within 6 months.
Note: I peeled the outer layer of the figs, then I realised that it might have tasted better with the skin. Hmm...will try fig jam with their skin on next time!