My mum-in-law gave us this can of abalone to bring back to the US and this is our dish to celebrate the first day of the Chinese New Year. Surprisingly...this dish is easy to cook. Happy New Year to everyone!
1 can Horse Brand abalone (i use 3/4 of it)
3 dried mushrooms - soaked and stems removed (retain water)
3 dried scallops - soaked and roughly shredded (retain water)
few stalks of gai lan - leaves cut and stems peeled and sliced
3/4 can abalone stock
2 cups chicken stock
2 cloves garlic - lightly smashed
1 tbsp oyster sauce
1 tsp dark soy sauce
a few cubes of rock sugar
2 tsp fried shallot oil
- Slice the abalone thinly. Set aside.
- Heat up chicken stock and abalone stock in a pot. Add ginger, garlic, mushroom, scallops, oyster sauce, soy sauce and rock sugar.
- When it comes to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes. Place the sliced abalone in the pot. Cover and boil for 1 minute over high heat. Remove from heat and arrange abalone slices around the rim of the plate.
- Heat up water in another smaller pot and blanch the vegetables for 1 -2 minutes Arrange them onto the centre of the plate.
- Stir in some cornstarch solution into the stock and check that seasonings are to your preference.
- Place the mushrooms on top of the vegetables.
- Remove ginger slices and garlic and pour the remaining gravy onto the plate.
- Drizzle some shallot oil onto the vegetables and it is ready to be served.