8 pieces pig trotters
1 star anise
2 dried cloves
5 cloves garlic - light smashed
3 ginger slices
2 old ginger slices
2 dried shitake mushroom - soaked, drained and halved, reserve mushroom water
15 fresh chestnuts- blanched and peeled
6 dried chilli
1 tbsp rock sugar
2 cups water estimated - inclusive of mushroom water
2 tbsp vegetable oil
For blanching trotters
2 ginger slices
2 tbsp vinegar
4 tbsp light soy sauce
3 tbsp dark soy sauce
1 tbsp sweet dark soy sauce
2 tbsp black vinegar
- Bring a pot of water to a boil. Add ginger slices and vinegar. Add trotters and boil for a few minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Heat up oil in a pan. Fry the ginger and garlic till fragrant. Add dried chillies and fry for a while. Add mushrooms and fry for one minuste.
- Switch to high heat, add trotters, chestnuts and rock sugar and fry to mix well.
- Drizzle sauce along the side of the wok and do a quick stir fry.
- Transfer to a pressure cooker.
- Add enough water to cover all ingredients. Add star anisecloves.
- Cover and cook for 25 to 30 minutes or till trotters are cooked to desired tenderness.
- Ladle into a serving bowl and serve warm.