This is a healthy version of the dish which requires no deep frying.
1 lb ground pork
1 small napa cabbage - sliced into 2 cm thickness
8 pcs baby carrots
1/2 tsp chopped ginger
1 tbsp chopped green onion
3 tbsp chopped water chestnut
1 tsp minced garlic
1 tbsp oyster sauce
1 bowl chicken stock
Seasonings for meatball
2 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp rice wine
1 tsp sesame oil
1/2 tsp sugar
1 tsp cornstarch
salt and pepper to taste
- Marinate the meat with seasonings and add water chestnut, ginger, green onion to the meat mixture. Set aside for 1 hour or more.
- Take a spoonful of the mixture and shape into meatballs. Place them on a plate.
- Prepare a steamer. When water is boiling, steam the meatballs for 15 mins or until cooked.
- Remove any excess water and coat the meatballs with some flour.
- Heat up oil in a pan and fry the meatballs until brown. Remove and set aside.
- With the remaining oil in the pan, saute the garlic until aromatic. Add the napa cabbage and carrots and stir fry for a while. Add oyster sauce and chicken stock and bring to a boil. Continue to simmer for 10 mins on medium heat.
- Add meatballs to the pan and simmer for 15 mins. Check seasonings and add salt or soy sauce if needed. Stir cornstarch solution to slightly thicken the sauce. Serve warm.