1/2 cup soybeans - soaked for 2 hours
4 cups water
few slices of ginger
2 bitter gourd - cut into 2 inches length and remove seeds
1 block firm tofu - mashed and squeezed dry
1/2 cup chopped black fungus - previously soaked and drained
1/2 cup chopped dried beancurd - previously soaked and drained
2 shitake mushrooms - soaked, drained and chopped
salt and pepper to taste
dash of chilli powder
pinch of sugar
1 tsp sesame oil
2 tbsp chopped parsley
1 tsp cornstarch
*best to use smaller bitter gourds, cut slit lengthwise in the middle, remove seeds and stuff mixture inside.
- Place water, soaked soybeans and ginger slices in a pressure cooker and cook for 20 minutes.
- Place mashed tofu, black fungus, mushroom and beancurd sheet in a bowl.
- Season with salt, pepper, chili powder, sugar, sesame oil and chopped parsley. Mix well.
- Add enough cornstarch to form a firm mixture.
- Use a spoon to stuff the mixture into the bittergourd.
- Place stuffed bitter gourd into the soybean broth and boil for 20 minutes or till desired tenderness.
- Ladle into serving bowl and drizzle some sesame oil over the bitter gourds. Serve warm.