Ingredients for Steam Carrot CakeSet A:
425g white carrot / turnip, peeled and shredded
Set B:2 shallots, peeled and chopped fine
2 tbsp dried shrimp, soaked and cut into smaller bits
4 to 5 dried mushroom, soaked in water till soft, then cut into small chunks
2 Chinese sausage, casing removed and cut into small chunks
2 tbsp vegetable cooking oil
155g rice flour
15g corn flour
15g wheat starch powder
340ml chicken stock (or use 340ml water + 1 chicken bouillon cube)
- In a large pot, add shredded carrot and water and start boiling mixture. Cook for about 5 to 8 minutes till the vegetables are slightly cooked. Do not throw the water, leave the whole mixture together and set aside till needed.
- In a saute pan, add vegetable oil on medium heat and stir fry the shallots till fragrant. Then add in Chinese sausage, mushrooms and dried shrimp. Cook mixture for a couple minutes then add the carrot water mixture in. Let it stew for about 8 to 10 minutes and then switch off the fire. Set aside till needed.
- In the meantime, prepare the steamer with boiling water and grease a 8" round steam pan lined with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, add rice flour, corn flour and wheat starch in. Pour in the chicken stock and mix well. Then pour the carrot mixture into the flour mixture and stir well. The mixture will be lumpy and thick.
- Pour it into the prepared steamer pan and let steam for about 40 minutes till cooked.
- Remove from steamer and let cool completely before cutting into it.
- After cooling it, slice the kueh into rectangles. Prepare a frying pan and add enough cooking oil for frying the carrot cakes.
- Fry each side of the carrot cake for about 4 to 5 minutes before flipping or till it is golden brown. Dish up and drain on paper towels. Serve with any condiments of your choice