For the Dough
1 cup all purpose flour
pinch of salt
water as needed
For the soup
1 large pot water
handful of ikan bilis /anchovy
3 slices ginger
2 cloves garlic - lightly mashed
2 dried shitake mushrooms - washed, soaked and reserve the water
salt to taste
For the meat
150g ground pork - marinate with 1 tbsp soy sauce, 1 tsp sesame oil, 1 tsp huatiao wine, 1 tsp cornstarch ,salt and pepper to taste.
6 prawns - peeled, deveined and chopped
green vegetables - chye sim or bak choy
fried ikan bilis
1 tsp shallot oil
sprinkle of pepper
garlic chilli sauce
1 cut chilli padi + 1 tbsp soy sauce
- Mix flour and salt in a large bowl. Slowly add in water till a soft pliable dough is formed.
- Cover the dough and let it rest for an hour or more.
- Add marinated pork and prawns in a small bowl and set aside.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil. Add ikan bilis, mushrooms ginger and garlic and bring to a boil again.
- Simmer over medium low heat for 30 mins or more. Add some salt to taste.
- Sieve out the boiled ingredients. Cut the mushrooms into thin strips and discard the other ingredients. Set aside the soup base together with the mushrooms for later use.
- Take out the rested dough. Use a rolling pin to roll it out thinly and cut into large strips.
- To cook one serving, bring half of the soup base to a boil. Tear out pieces from the strip dough and drop it into the boiling soup. Repeat till amount desired is done.
- Use a small spoon and add small chunks of marinated meat into the pot.
- After the pieces of dough and meat are cooked, add green vegetables and break an egg into the pot. Cook for another 1 -2 minutes.
- Ladle into a bowl and add toppings. Sprinkle some pepper to taste.
- Serve warm with some garlic chilli sauce or chilli padi dipping sauce.