4 sea cucumbers (frozen fresh ones)
3 slices ginger
2 cloves garlic - lightly smashed
1 shallot - sliced
3 stalks green onion (white part only - cut into 1 inch length)
1 pc dang gui
1 star anise
3 shitake mushrooms - soaked and drained
1 stalk carrot - peeled and cut into slices
1/2 packet fresh black fungus - washed
1 packet medium firm tofu - cut into pieces
3 - 4 cups chicken stock
1 to 2 tbsp vegetable oil
salt and pepper to taste
dash of sesame oil
1 tbsp rice wine
2 tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp dark soy sauce
1 tsp sweet soy sauce
- Defrost sea cucumbers. Remove intestines and clean them thoroughly.
- Blanch them in boiling water. Drain and place them in cold water for later use.
- Heat up oil in pan. Fry tofu pieces till golden brown on both sides. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add a little more oil, fry the ginger, garlic, green onion and shallot till aromatic. Add mushrooms and fry for a while.
- Drizzle sauce and do a quick stir fry. Add some chicken stock.
- Transfer mushrooms mixture to a claypot and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer for 15 minutes till tender.
- Add tofu, carrot, black fungus, sea cucumbers and enough chicken stock to cook all the ingredients. Continue to simmer till sea cucumbers are cooked to desired tenderness.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Stir in some cornstarch solution to slightly thicken the sauce.
- Drizzle some sesame oil and serve warm with rice.