1 cup of all purpose flour (sifted) - minus 1 - 2 tbsp
3/4 cup sugar
3 large eggs
2 tbsp raisins
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 can sprite or 7-up (use 1/4 cup)
some melted butter for brushing
- Use the electric mixer to beat the eggs with the sugar in a large bowl for about 20 minutes or until the mixture turns frothy.
- In a small bowl, sprinkle some flour onto the raisins. Dust excess flour away.
- Brush some melted butter all over a metal plate.
- Add baking soda and vanilla extract to the mixture and slowly pour in the flour. Use a spatula to mix well.
- Pour 1/3 cup of sprite into the mixture and fold to mix well. The final mixture should not be too thick.
- Transfer the flour egg mixture to the metal plate. Add raisins to the mixture.
- Steam over high heat for 20 to 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean.
- Cut into pieces and serve the sliced cake with some jam and butter.