85g dried chili - about 2 cups
6 fresh red chili - remove stalks and seeds
8 shallots - peeled and sliced
8 cloves garlic - peeled and sliced
1 stalk lemongrass - use white part only, chopped into small pieces
1 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
3/4 cup oil or more for frying
water for blending
- Remove the stalks of the dried chili and cut into halves.
- Add 1 cup water to a pot and bring to a boil. Add cut dried red chili. Turn off heat and let it soak for 10 minutes until soft.
- Use a sieve to remove as much seeds as possible. Drain and set aside.
- Put dried chilli, fresh red chill, lemongrass, shallot and garlic into a blender. Add just enough water for blending.
- Heat up oil in a pot. Fry the shallot mixture till lightly brown and aromatic.
- Add the blended chili and continue to cook over low heat for 1 to 2 hours, stirring occasionally to prevent the paste from burning.
- Add salt and sugar and continue to cook for another few minutes.
- Turn off heat and remove from stove.
- Ladle into glass jar and let it cool.
- Enjoy the taste of home made sambal chili!