recipe adapted from here
150 gm young lotus root, finely grated
220 gm butter/margarine
130 gm caster sugar
1/8 tsp salt
5 eggs separated
285 gm plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp vanilla
75 gm raisins
- Chop up the sultanas and lightly coat with some flour from the above 285 gm.
- Lightly flour and grease an 8 inch square or round tin. Set aside.
- Grate the young lotus root and gently squeeze out liquid. Do not squeeze completely dry, but moist enough.
- Sift the flour with the baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- Cream butter with sugar till light, creamy, thick and fluffy.
- Beat in egg yolks one at a time, mix well.
- Add in vanilla and grated lotus root till well combined.
- In another bowl, beat egg whites till stiff but not dry.
- Fold the egg whites into the lotus root mixture. Mix thoroughly, scraping from the sides and bottom of the mixing bowl.
- Finally add in the chopped and floured sultanas.
- Pour batter into prepared tin, bake in preheated oven @ 180 deg C for about 70 mins. or till skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Allow cake to cool in tin for about 10 mins. before turning out to cool on wire rack.